How to Fix Adobe’s “Licensing for this product has stopped working” Error

The other day my MacBook Pro strangely stopped booting. No worries, I just restored from a backup and all was well… That is until I tried to use Dreamweaver CS4, when I was greeted by this lovely visage:

Licensing for this product has stopped working."

Oh really? That’s wonderful, thanks Adobe.

Now the instructions I’m going to give you can be found on Adobe’s website, but I had a heck of a time trying to find them, hopefully this will make things easier for you if you run into this error.

The solution is actually pretty straight forward:

  1. Using Finder, navigate to /Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet.
  2. Control+Click on the FLEXnet folder, and then select Get Info.
  3. Expand the Sharing & Permissions section.
  4. Click on the Details option to show the various owner and group options.
  5. Click the lock icon in the lower right corner. Type in your administrator username and password when prompted and click OK.
  6. Change your username to have Read & Write permissions.
  7. Change admin to have Read & Write permissions.
  8. Change Everyone to have Read & Write permissions.
  9. Click the Gear icon and select Apply To Enclosed Item. (all those steps can be found on Adobe’s site http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405970.html)

But you MUST delete adobe_00080000_tsf.data and adobe_00080000_event.log.

After that:

10. Close the FLEXnet Info dialog box.

11. Launch any of the Adobe Creative Suite 4 product.

Keychain Access Issues in OS X 10.6.2

After updating to 10.6.2 I’ve been running into some keychain issues, receiving errors like this one pretty much every time I try and save an item to my Keychain:

Keychain “login” cannot be found to store “login”
[Restore Defaults] [Cancel]

Thankfully the fix is pretty simple.

Open your Applications folder.
Then go to Utilities.
Open up Keychain Access.
Click Keychain Access in your navigation bar, and select Keychain First Aid.
Run the Repair function.
Then run the Verify function.

That should fix things.

RPC Server Unavailable

Recently my Uncle tried to update his new(ish) computer from Windows XP SP2 to Windows XP SP3, but he kept receiving the following error:

RPC Server Unavailable
Service Pack 3 installation did not complete

If you happen to run into this error, the most likely cause is that you don’t have the EnableRSS subkey in your registry. Naturally the first step is verifying this.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, press Enter.

Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

If the EnableRSS registry entry does not exist, create it.
– Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
In the New Value #1 box, type EnableRSS, and then press ENTER.
Right-click EnableRSS, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0 (zero), and then click OK.

Exit Registry Editor.

Now retry the Service Pack 3 installtation.

Samsung tech support

I’ll be the first to recommend Samsung’s LCD monitors and TV’s for their quality and life span, but there’s a rotten egg in every hen house.

I use a Samsung 906BW 19″ widescreen at work and love it, but the other day it developed a pesky horizontal white line about a half inch from the top. So I call Samsung tech support, they said it was still under warranty and sent me a refurb. I picked up the refurb and swapped for the bad screen at the UPS store on Friday, and just got around to hooking it up yesterday and to my delight, no signal.

That’s perfect… Samsung sends me a replacement screen that doesn’t work? So now I have them sending me a replacement for the replacement…. I’ll let you know if this keeps going in circles.

iPhone Syncing Error

I’d recently added a few new email accounts to Mail.app and when I went to sync my iPhone it threw back the following error:

“iTunes could not sync mail accounts to the iPhone “Aaron Nelsen’s iPhone” because an error occurred remapping record identifiers.”

Here’s what ended up fixing it for me: Next time you go to sync, click on the info tab in iTunes and uncheck the Sync selected Mail accounts box. Click Apply.

Close iTunes and disconnect your iPhone.

Next, open iSync (Applications -> iSync)

Open the iSync preferences. Hit “Reset Sync History”. Confirm your choice when it asks for confirmation.

Close iSync. Open iTunes, connect the iPhone and try syncing again. You will need to go back to the Info tab and recheck the Sync selected Mail accounts.